2018 Highlights and 2019 Goals What a year! 2018 has been excellent and busy, and we look forward to a successful 2019.
- A larger 300 m2 facility for growing our algae is up and running since August – an important milestone for the company that allows us to ship our product consistently to customers.
- We have two focus areas: skin care and solar energy.
- We’ve sold to several players in the skin care industry – stay tuned for product launches! Our one material solves the two major skincare issues: moisturization and cleansing. We are in touch with many players in the organic skin care market, in the Nordics and globally.
- We also have a testing partnership with a large global skin care producer to evaluate this material as a new, natural UV filter for sun screens in addition to the moisturizing and absorbing properties.
- We continued and started projects with partners and potential customers in the solar energy field. We enhance solar panel efficiency with 4 % for silicon based solar panels and even higher for dye sensitized solar cells (DSSC)
- We published a paper in Nature Reports, titled ”Diatom frustules protect DNA from ultraviolet light”. Co-authors include our team members Mikael and Angela.
- We filed a patent in several geographies (and have more patents in the pipeline)
- We’ve expanded our team with five new people: Harriet, Sanna and Caroline, as well as two consultants.
- We secured a total of 2M Euro new grants from the EU, the Swedish Energy Agency and the Swedish Innovation Agency.
- We raised a round from current shareholders plus new investor Walerud Ventures
- We are part of several research projects in potential future markets. A new exciting one is a spin out company from NTNU, where an anode including our algae silica can increase the capacity of battery anodes with 40 %, so that a battery charge can last much longer.
Additional media highlights and awards, 2018
- Finalists in Sweden’s two biggest startup competitions in 2018, DI Startup Tour (where we won in Gothenburg, top 3 nationally) and 33-listan
- We also won the Industry Prize at Serendipity Challenge in Almedalen
- Article in the skin care’s industry press, Tidningen Kosmetik
- Crown Princess Victoria visited our facility
- Presentations at TBLI Impact Conference, Race for the Baltic, SLUSH, and several other forums.
- It was a huge honor being part of the Nobel week this year. Cofounders Angela and Sofie presented and sat in panels together with industry leaders and Nobel Laureates at two events during the Nobel Prize week, with the important theme “Water Matters”. The Nobel Banquet was amazing!
Looking into 2019, we continue on our mission to be the world-leading producer of advanced materials from algae and a driving force towards a circular and bio-based industry. 2019 Goals:
- Continue work to scale out to our next even larger facility.
- Sell sell sell! Both to the organic skincare industry, and partnerships with solar energy actors who can buy larger volumes from our second facility. We will recruit another sales person to accelerate sales.
- Close a larger financing round for the next phase of growth (over 2M EUR already secured).
Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions or are interested in joining us on our quest. Swedish Algae Factory wishes you all a great 2019!